Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Schoolin' these young cats...

Over these last 4 years I've been producing, I've learned more about music and life in general than I ever really cared to know. This is a shady, lowdown dirty, grimy business we're in. I'm trying to get a few points across to people new to the game, and also get some shit off my chest thats been bothering me lately.

One of my biggest things is that nothing is ORIGINAL anymore. Whether its the same exact type of songs over and over, or the countless stories about BIG NAME SO AND SO getting his chain snatched, its all so damn old. No wonder the music industry is in the can. With the decline in the quality of music being produced, the value of the product also declines. Therefore, simple economics takes place. We need more innovation and less note repeat snare rolls.

A lot of new guys coming to this music thing, and even some that have been doing "music" for years now, are clueless about actually making money from it. For example, I've recorded enough material for a few local artists to put whole albums out, and I even went as far as to get FREE beats and FREE album covers for them. What do they do in return? Nothing. Yeah yeah I know you got bills, and you have to have the newest air forces and brand new Evisu's, your album can wait. Can't risk losing those new 22's for some ole album you just spent 5 months working on.

Its easy as hell nowadays to make beats. What we are doing is NOTHING SPECIAL. Producing software is currently cheap as hell, even hardware is at a great price now. You know what it takes to be a great producer? Dedication. Commitment. Knowledge. Motivation. So go ahead and take your drum kit loops and your gated synths and your 808 claps and sell em to MC so and so for $20. I bet he'll be the talk of the block with his newest single "Basement Ballin".

0 comments: